Sunday, June 20, 2010

Style Icon: Keira Knightley

This month's theme on EGL is style icons. Who inspires you? Whose look do you try to emulate? Who do you admire?

If I could pick one woman in the entire world to be like, it would always be Keira Knightley. Not only is she an immensely talented actress, she is also incredibly beautiful, sharp, and can hold her own against any man. But strangely enough, whenever I tell most of my male friends that I adore her, all I get in response is an "eh." They don't find her beautiful. But I do. I think she is the most beautiful woman in the world. And one of the things I love about her is that she just doesn't care what other people think.

She's most well-known for her period films (and the amazing costumes in them). I know it's not a big favorite, but the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice is the movie that made me fall in love with her. Before that I'd obviously seen Pirates of the Caribbean, and most recently, The Duchess (weep). I think The Duchess is her most extravagant film in terms of fashion, and the first image in this post is my favorite outfit I have ever seen her wear. Brass buttons and military-style coat? Check. Large brown curls? Check. HUGE dramatic hat covered in fox fur? Check. There is nothing about that outfit I do not love.

She isn't afraid of her body. She isn't afraid to play a tough role. She is charming, funny, and fierce. I have never admired someone more in my life (aside from Conan O'Brien, but his fashion sense involves purple pleather suits and rhinestone-studded jackets, so I won't say he's a style icon for me). I think she's extraordinary.

And besides, how could I not love a woman crowned Pirate King?

No comments:

Post a Comment